Friday, March 7, 2008
Aussie Aussie Aussie... Um.
This is a selection from an e-mail was sent to me by my old friend Rowena. What's scary is since returning to Australia, most of the make sense to me.
7. When you hear that an American "roots for his team" you wonder how often and with whom.
8. You understand that the phrase "a group of women wearing black thongs" refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds.
13. You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep. [But surely this is Canada?]
14. You call your best friend "a total bastard" but someone you really, truly despise is just "a bit of a bastard".
17. You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin.
18. You understand that "Wagga Wagga" can be abbreviated to "Wagga" but "Woy Woy" can't be called "Woy".
19. You believe that cooked-down axlegrease makes a good breakfast spread.
20. You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff up, at which point they again become Kiwis.
24. You still don't get why the "Labor" in "Australian Labor Party" is not spelt with a "u".
30. You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.
32. You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle.
41. You find yourself ignorant of nearly all the facts deemed essential in the government's new test for migrants.
42. You know, whatever the tourist books say, that no one says "cobber".
43. And you will immediately forward this list to other Australians, here and overseas, realising that only they will understand.
So, for our non Australians, how much needs translation?